The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Sometimes all it takes is a few hundred viewings, and I'll eventually get the joke.

One of my favorite films is Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part I. I have seen this film so many times, I can recite most of the lines by heart. At Western, I went to a history club meeting, just because they were showing the film (by the way, WIU has a small blurb in the latest Sports Illustrated recapping their basketball jersey flub when they played 6 games as "Western Illinios" page 28).

So I'm watching History of the World, Part I on the Fox Movie Network, which is great because they don't edit anything. The off color jokes, insults and nudity, all the things that make it a great film, are untouched. So I'm watching it and quoting the movie back to my TV, of course, when I get a joke that I had never gotten before. Now I knew the words, but I never got the joke.

It takes place in the Roman Empire portion of the film. Comicus and Josephus are escaping from the Roman soldiers dressed as Senators. As they are walking down the street they find a blind beggar who keeps bumping his head. The beggar is shouting "Give to Oedipus!" I thought the joke ended there. But when the beggar sees Josephus coming he stick out his hand and says "Hey, Josephus!" To which Josephus replys as he slaps Oedipus' hand "Hey Motherfucker."

I had heard that line every time I had seen the movie. And I just never got the joke.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Don't you just love DirecTV? So many more channels.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Just last month, I got one of the lines in They Might Be Giants' "Ana Ng" The lyric was "When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge" and this was the first half of the bridge of the song. Ha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home