The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Now that's a powerful union.

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union is currently negotiating with Toyota for 12 days of "menstrual leave" for female workers on the production line.

According to the Sydney Daily Herald: (note no link, happy Phil)
"These are women who are working on a production line, standing most of the day, welding, painting, grinding, bolting cars together - very tough work - doing the same work as men.
"But they said during that one time of the month, they were having real problems are they felt it should be recognised."
Mr Cameron said many of the female workers clearly had a problem.
"Many women have excessive cramps, many women have headaches, many women have nausea, many women can't concentrate and they're on a production line," he said.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    Thanks for the correction. This story came from the Sydney Morning Herald.

    It's not that I like Australia, per se, but I find that most American papers use the same wire service and so read exactly the same. But since I only read English, my options on foreign papers are slightly limited.

    In America any proposal which even hints at the inability of women to do work while menstrual would get laughed at from both the left and the right.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Pete, I wasn't complaining about the link being there. I was complaining that the link didn't take me to the story. That I had to sign up for something to read the story. :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home