The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

The secret of being a great lawyer

This morning I was in Federal Court on two different motion calls 45 minutes apart. The first was on the defendant's motion to reduce a bond, the second was a status hearing. Of course, I didn't want the first motion to pass. And I wanted to get more time, about two weeks, in the second.

At the first hearing, when my case was called, the first words out of my mouth were "Good Morning, your honor, Peter Young for the Plaintiff." The judge then proceeded to tell the Defendant's attorney that the very statements made in her motion, are the precise reasons for the bond. Thus, he was denying her motion. The second sentence from my mouth was, "Thank you, your Honor."

At the second hearing, when my case was called, the first words out of my mouth were "Good Morning, your honor, Peter Young for the Defendant." The judge then asks for the status of the case. Opposing Counsel tells the judge that the audit that his client is conducting of my client will take another 4 weeks. The judge then extends the time for the audit for 4 weeks. The second sentence from my mouth was, "Thank you, your Honor."

It seems the less I talk, the more successful I will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home