The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

That phone survey should have never mentioned beer

Five minutes before dinner and the phone rings. I pick it up, even though the caller ID says "unknown caller". I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Well on the line is a person conducting a phone survey about beer. Now as a rule I will take phone surveys, simply to screw with the results. But this was serious. I said that I was more than interested.

The first question the interviewer asked was for me to name as many brands of beer as I could. I asked her if she was sure that she wanted me to do this. She said yes. After naming all of the local and regional breweries, I could tell that she was getting tired of typing. So she decided that it just might be easier to go down the list that she has and then ask me if I had heard of these brands. She listed about 20-25 brands, mostly big label beers that I had heard of. But also a suprising amount of lesser known imports.

I'm sure I was her longest interview of the night as she had to ask me additional questions about each beer that I said that I had heard of. And finally in the end she commented that I really must like beer.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Voiceover: Sally had a new husband, a baby on the way, and a place in the suburbs. And an easy job.

    "Gee, Linda, all my calls are boring and the people I phone know nothing about my topics. Come on...gutter systems? The solutions to the Cubs relief staff woes? Get real. Easiest job in the world. Pass me another Nutter-Butter"

    Voiceover: Her life was about to be changed forever.

    "Hello, Mr. Young? I'm conducting a survey about beer. Do you have a few moments? This should only take about 5 minutes of your time."

    Voiceover: Get ready for a terror you've never imagined. What do you do when you encounter the enthuiast during your random survey?

    "Okay, Mr. Young. For each of the 1,500 breweries you've named, how many times have you drunk each of their beers?"

    Voiceover: How do you escape the call to go on break?

    (Whispering): "Linda, I need to pee and have a smoke. Get on my line and just say 'uh-huh' once in a while. Make it sound like you're typing. We just finished covering the quality of restrooms in brewpubs. Now, he's ranking his favorite types of hops. Hurry! God help us all!"

    Voiceover: The Surveyist. Coming this Thanksgiving.

    "Thank God that's over. It was the most unbearable 2 hours ever. On top of all that typing, I only got 1 call made - I'm going to lose my job! Well, press on - who's next? Michael Jackson?"

    Voiceover: The Surveyist. Coming this Thanksgiving.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home