The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Friday, April 28, 2006

The joy of cheap homebrew (or why its best in a club)

Last night at the UKG meeting I had the opportunity to judge the club only competition for extract beers. I sampled around 11 beers (eight in our flight and 3 more from the other flight for best of show) . Many of them were outstanding, the top 5 were heavenly. And I didn't have to pay for any of them. The cheapest buzz on the planet.

Also at the meeting, the plans for the Big Brew were unveiled. For those who don't know, The Big Brew is a celebration of National Homebrew Day, May 6th, where brewers around the county get together and fire up the burners and brew. This year a local brewery and homebrew shop, The Brewers Coop agreed to mash a large amount of grain for us so that at noon we can fill our brewpots and boil. The best part is that they have agreed to do this for free. All I'm going to have to buy is yeast and hops. And since I have a coupon for free yeast this is only going to cost around 3 bucks for 5 gallons of beer. Thank you God.

And after the Big Brew I'm going to Phil's house for Izzy and Alek's birthday party and the night race at Richmond. A pretty cool day.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A very cool day indeed. Alas, I will be at the dentist in the morning and working in the afternoon so I will not be able to join you. So close to my house too.....I may have to try and work something out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home