The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Abortion and the DNC

Some people in the Democratic Party are adovacting that the party move away from it staunch support of abortion on demand. In fact that seems to be the platform of Tim Roemer, a former congressman, who is running for the chairmanship of the Democratic National Committee. His website can be found here. This course of action was recently championed in Altantic Monthly article, which suggested that the party is harmed more than it is helped by its unwavering support for Roe v. Wade.

Even Howard Dean and Hillary Clinton seem to be getting in on the action. Senator Clinton recently made remarks in a speech that Democrats need to be more tolerant of people who are opposed to abortion and gay marriage because of their beliefs. Click here for the story in the New York Times. Howard Dean is also making statements that the DNC must become a home for pro-life democrats. Click here for story.


3 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Conservative Democrats? I'll let my wife comment on this one.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    The real question is should the DNC be willing to negotiate on abortion in order to gain more moderate voters. I know of several people who would vote democrat except for the abortion issue, but thats a deal breaker. These people do not buy into the majority of the GOP platform, but continue to vote for them because of this issue.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger magicalsprite said…

    I don't like this one bit. One of the reasons that I fully support democrats is because of their support of Roe v. Wade. I understand why they want more support, but a woman should always have the right to choose. To be honest, while I could never have an abortion because I became pregnant when I didn't want to be, I would most definitely have aborted if I had found out that I was carrying a very unhealthy child. I think every woman deserves to make these choices. The dems sinking to the side of the religious majority that's out there right now just to get their vote s extremely disappointing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home