The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Friday, May 20, 2005

First Win

I won my first trial on Friday. It was so difficult. I believe I said two sentences. This was a small claims action, a homebuyer sued my client who was the roofer. Unfortunately for the buyer he didn't have a contract nor warranty from the roofer. He only had one from the builder. When we brought this up in pre-trial motions, the buyer told the judge that he did have a contract and a warranty.

So when we get to court, I'm ready. I've got all my exhibits lined up. I've gone over my cross and direct a number of times. I'm ready with my foundation and heresay objections. I'm good to go. But as the buyer didn't have a lawyer, the judge simply began asking him questions. The first question was do you have a contract? No your honor. Do you have some sort of express warranty from the roofer? At this point the buyer produces a letter my client wrote to the better business bureau. This was not what the judge had in mind. Since he could not even begin to pass muster on his claim, the judge ordered a verdict for my client.

Which just goes to prove great lawyers also know when to shut up.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home