The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Nick's first comic book

Tonight I had to meet my brother at a comic book store, in order for me to give him my computer to fix. Nothing serious, just some more memory so that my computer can handle the DSL line which will be installed on Thursday.

Well, I decided to take Nick with me to get him out of the house and out of Sarah's way so she could hold Bible Study without him getting in the way. So when I tell Sarah of my plan she informs me that I should show Nick a Captain America book. Nick had apparently told her that he had never seen Captain America in anything, despite the fact that he has a Captain America action figure.

So, we drive to the store, and find Phil. Once we give him the computer I begin to show Nick the books. There were about six teens in the store, playing some RPG that I couldn't identify. I'm sure Nick really annoyed them. As this was Nick's first trip to any comics store, he had a little difficulty repressing his excitement. Superman! Daddy, look Batman! He was just racing from mag to mag pointing. Whenever he saw a character he knew, or thought he knew, he had to announce it.

This goes on for about three minutes, and after that Nick calms down. I figure now is a good time to show Nick Captain America. And after some confusion with the filing system of the store, the clerk points out where it is. So I show Nick the mag and get no reaction. This kid spent the first ten minutes of the car ride to the store getting my assurances that I would show him Captain America. And now that the moment is upon him, he simply doesn't care.

When I had first told Nick that we were going to the store, I mentioned that if he was a good boy, I would get him a comic book. And he was a good boy, so I asked him what he wanted. He scanned the big wall of mags and finally rested on the Fantastic Four. I know he only likes them because of the movie and the relentless marketing of the toys thereof. But, he's starting with the classics, and that's fine with me.

But I hadn't bought a comic book in 15+ years. They're $2.25! What the hell. I'm shelling out $2.25 on a book that Nick can't read, and I sure ain't going to read it to him. So basically, Nick's going to be looking at the pictures. But he likes it and looked at it the whole way home. So I guess it's OK.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Nick'll read the comic eventually. Today "Goodnight Moon"; Tomorrow "Latveria".

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    I've bought a few Sonic the Hedgehog comics for Michael. He loves them even though he can't really read them yet.

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Anybody have some old "Spidey Super Stories" laying around?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home