The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Will Mancow start talking like Marty Robinson?

Last week Mancow was fired from his morning gig on Q101. It seemed to make as much sense as the station dropping Loveline at night. But the company boys did it anyway. As for the show itself, I enjoyed flipping between it and Morning Edition on my drive to work. It made for a bi-polar commute.

But Mancow has landed on his feet at WTTW, Channel 11 in Chicago. At Channel 11 Mancow will be an occasional commentator, on Chicago Tonight. This is all the more interesting because Carol Marin is one of the hosts on Chicago Tonight. Ms. Marin, one of the most decorated television anchors in Chicago, famously left WMAQ over that station's decision to hire Jerry Springer as an occasional commentator. So will Ms. Marin leave Chicago Tonight? Apparently not accoring to this story in the Chicago Tribune. "This doesn't trouble me, and I'm interested in seeing how it will play out," Marin said Thursday, two days after Muller's debut on the public broadcaster's signature show, which showcases her as regular contributor. "I don't think anyone is committed one way or another to this being a long-term plan or not. I don't think they know."

I don't know if Mancow's persona will be effective in one to two minute pretaped and edited segments. The best parts of his show were when things were going off the rails and he was improvising. The scripted parts, and there were plently of them, was my cue to go to WBEZ. With a scripted, vetted and edited commentary, I doubt Mancow will remain at WTTW for long.

And Paul, it's an even dozen of links.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Wow, I didn't even realize that Mancow was dropped from Q101. I gave up on Q101 in the mornings right after Mancow was brought on board. I got real tired of the whole show. Went to WIIL 95.1 for a long time, but now I just listen to the ipod on my way to work.

    Does this mean that they actually play music in the mornings now?

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Gonna start calling you Link Hogthrob.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home