The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Strange publicity stunt

I understand Elvira Arellano's desire to stay with her son. I understand her desire to stay in the US. I understand her seeking sanctury in a west side church.

But I don't understand the whirlwind press junket that her 7 year old son is on. He's supposed to be in school now, but instead he is going to Washington DC to try and hand deliver a letter to President Bush. He's been to LA to be on "The Cristina Show," a popular Spanish TV talk show taped in California. And today he showed up in Mexico City and appeared before the Mexican Chamber of Deputies to ask them to pressure Washington to stop the deportation of his mother.

Two things confuse me about this. First, Elvira has been saying all along that the reason she wants to stay is so that she can be with her son. I understand that having him do these things may work toward the long term goal of having her stay with him. But since it is clear that he can go to Mexico and come back anytime he wants to, the real goal is to have him stay with her in America.

But the plea to the Mexican Chamber of Deputies is more confusing. Now I don't have a transcript of the speech, but isn't the message I need Mexico's help in keeping my mother out of Mexico? Please whatever you can do, don't allow them to send my mother here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home