The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Friday, January 14, 2005

My mom could have a successful position in city government

For those of you who don't know, my mom is working as a pharmacy tech at the Target Store in Gurnee. She also has completed her Associates Degree from CLC. She has extensive business experience.

Why do I bring this up? Well, my mom is more qualified to be the town assessor for Cicero than the guy doing the job right now. The current Assessor, the guy who determines what your property is worth for the sake of taxes, is the 23 year old nephew of the town president. But your thinking maybe he has some financial background?

Nope. The week before he was working as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens. He has recently began work towards an associates degree at Morton College, having dropped out of the Pharmacy program at UIC.

Now I'm all for giving a guy a break. After all, the only reason that I wasn't kicked out of CLC was that I continued to pay the tutition. So I'm not casting stones about his experience in general. I'm just wondering if he's the right guy for this unelected job, without any sort of experience.

Oh did I mention that the Assessors job pays over $122,000 per year. Not a bad jump from the $11.00 an hour he was making at Walgreens.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Hey, maybe I qualify. I could certainly use that kind of money. Where do I apply?

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    You are almost as qualified. Unfortunately for you, you're not a relative of the town president. You see, there's this thing called nepotism...

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Maybe, if I'm real nice to the guy, he can adopt me. Then I'll kick out that loser son of his and take his place. A perfect plan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home