The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Playoff predictions

For the last several years, I have listened to, and read football analysts attempt to predict not only the outcome of a game but the final score. In his always entertaining column, Tuesday Morning Quarterback, Gregg Easterbrook has pointed out the consistent failure of the New York Times experts to even get one score correct in a five year span. Not a good record for the paper of record.

So with the Divisional playoffs here, I have decided to post my own daring predictions. I will attempt to accurately predict, not only the winner of each game this weekend but also the result of the coin toss at the beginning of the game. So without further ado:

Jets at Steelers
This game should easily go to the Steelers. Chad Pennington hasn't practiced all week with the stomach flu and Quincy Carter is not in Pittsburgh, as he is tending to his ailing mother. This will place more of the offensive burden on the Jets running game, and force them right into the strength of the Steeler defense.
I'm also going heads. As this is my first playoff coin toss prediction, I'm going with old reliable heads.
Prediction: Steelers. Heads

Rams at Falcons
This game is entirely on Mike Vick's shoulders. The Rams defense is not that great, but Vick has a tendency to cough up the ball at the most inopportune times. The Rams are also finally playing up to their potential. But I think that the often overlooked Atlanta defense will keep them below 20 points. If Vick doesn't implode, the Falcons will win.
I'm going to have to take tails on this one. Come on isn't obvious, two domed teams meeting in the playoffs, you just pick heads on that.
Prediction: Falcons, Tails.

Minnesota at Eagles
This game has more question marks than the Riddler's costume. Is Minnesota as good as they showed at Green Bay? Are the Eagles, who haven't played a meaningful game in a month, going to be rusty? Will Randy Moss be brave enough to moon the Eagle crowd too? (Side note: At the old Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia Police installed a jail and a courtroom to handle and prosecute the drunken, rowdy, obnoxious Eagle fans.) Who will McNabb throw to with Owens out? With so many questions, you have to go with who is the better team. Clearly that would be the Eagles. More talent up and down the roster, so I'm going Eagles.
The more I think about this coin toss the more I like Heads. Both Philly and Minneapolis are fat cities. The people like large amounts of rich and heavy food. So the tail end will weigh more and fall to the ground, leaving the head on top.
Prediction: Eagles, Heads

Colts at Patriots
This is the game we've all been waiting for. Peyton Manning, with his obscene numbers, coming back New England. Last year's pasting at the hands of the Patriots was the reason for the re-emphasis on the no bumping after 5 yards rule. The Patriots may be the champs, but with a banged up secondary and the explosiveness of the Colts offense, I think they are going to lose this game. The Patriots play a ball control offense, and they will not be able to hang with the Colts if this game becomes a shootout. Peyton's simply has too many weapons for the Pats to deal with. I'm going with the Colts.
As I'm going with the upset in the game, I will also go with Tails. I just don't think heads has enough to pull this one out.
Prediction: Colts, Tails.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. No Super Bowl for Peyton this year!

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    Yeah, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to determine my accuracy in the coin flip. I can't find that info anywhere.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home