The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Homebrew Cursing followed by Homebrew Music

Last Saturday I brewed my second brew for the upcoming competition season. I was planning on using up some of the malt that I had purchased for the Scottish Ale by brewing a Brown. Sarah was going to take the kids out for a playdate, so I would have the afternoon and the house to myself. No problems, right.

The problems with this brew started early. I failed to calculate the water right, I spilled the cleaning fluid all over the kitchen, I decided to brew outside on one of the coldest days of the year, I had a massive boilover which took out most of my hops, I forgot to add the brown sugar until halfway through the boil, I couldn't get my wort chiller to work since the outside faucet had frozen so I had to haul 5 gallons of wort (roughly 50 pounds) down to my basement, in getting to the basement the dog got outside.

All of these problems made me change the main of my brew. When I first devised the recipe, I had intended on calling it "Like a Virgin Brown Ale" since I recently purchased "Reservoir Dogs". If you haven't seen it, the beginning scene has Tarantino's character, Mr. Brown, waxing eloquently as to the meaning of Madonna's "Like A Virgin". But because of all of the problems I had with the brew, I changed my mind and will call it "Aww nuts Brown Ale", I used pecans as an adjunct.

After all of that, I still heard the sound which makes all homebrewers giddy, the bubbling of the airlock. That little reminder that the yeast is doing its job and soon we will have beer.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home