The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Worried that she's faking it, just strap her into a brain scanner and know for sure.

Leave it to those crazy Dutch. The faked female orgasm was recently the subject of a study where researchers had couples engage in "relations" while either the man or the woman had their head encased in a PET brain scanner at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands. Click here for story.

Of course, the study had a few problems. "Professor Holstege admitted that the study hit a few difficulties at first, with the laboratory conditions meaning that only half the couples felt able to rise to the occasion. The participants also complained of cold feet in the scanning room, prompting researchers to give them socks.

By the end of the study, the lowered lighting and socks meant that 80 per cent of the couples were able to have sex."

My only question on this story is why study the faked orgasm? How is this knowledge going to help anybody? No man really wants to know when his partner has faked an orgasm. And if she wanted him to know she wouldn't have faked it in the first place.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Look at the research from another angle. Rather than considering this research of when women fake orgasms, consider this research of what happens physiologically when women orgasm.

    If that is known, where can we go from there? Physical techniques or drugs can be introduced that perhaps can assist women in achieving orgasm or assist them in achieving orgasm more frequently. I'd see that as a positive outcome of research of this type.

    I saw an article recently (don't remember where) which described research into the female orgasm topic and some of the conclusions were that genetics may have an impact on a woman's ability to orgasm.

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    Yeah I see that angle, and I'm all in favor of research on how to help folks sexually. But why the fake orgasms?

    Wouldn't it be better to just simply have the couples have sex, and expect that certain women would fake an orgasm. Then read the scans and try to determine which are actually climaxing and those who are not. I don't know if any thing is to be learned by asking women to fake an orgasm, as I doubt that many women go into the bedroom planning to fake one. I'm sure some expect to do so, but the romantic in me hope that they at least will keep hope alive

     
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    If I have 2 scans of the same woman, one from faking and one from actual orgasm (and I know which is which), then I can study the scans to determine the diffenrences. Why jump in without information (like which scan is which) if it is very easy to obtain? No need to create barriers to my research - tough enough to find test subjects willing to participate.

    Not sure if my terminology is accurate, but the fakes give you something of a control group. If I have 2 sets of scans from the same 11 women - 1 set measuring activity during orgasm and another measuring activity during faked climax, now I can compare the measurements and hypothosize what happens during orgasm. If all I have are a bunch of scans, but don't know which is which, I imagine it's like standing at the edge of a forest, when I could be just comparing 2 trees.

    Your comment of romance makes me think - Reading the description of the research environment, there was probably as much romance in the lab during these experiments as there is during the typical sperm donation.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Peter Young said…

    As I was thinking about your post, I began to wonder if the high levels of brain activity found while a woman fakes an orgasm was exaggerated due to her overthinking it.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Yes, and in order to stop the overthinking, the researcher advises women to "strap this brain scanner on your head. Now, click your heels three times and repeat 'There's nothing like an orgasm. There's nothing like an orgasm. There's nothing...'"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home