The Wizard of Speed and Time

Just a bunch of things I think are interesting or funny.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Of Christ and outdoorsmen

This last weekend, as a way to get myself into the congregation, I attended the men's retreat for Christ the Redeemer Lutheran. We stayed at Camp Lutherhoma, in Telaquah, OK which is about an hour and a half southeast of Tulsa. We had the camp to ourselves, but we still had meals from the staff.

The team building portion was interesting as it got 10 men, of which I was the youngest, to get up and move around to do activities. I think we all enjoyed it but by the last one we we're ready to call it a day. The study we picked, however, was not all that good. We went through Max Lucado's book Next which can be sumerized in 4 sentences and is not very deep nor very instructional. But that was the text and we went through it. By the fourth chapter we were just going on autopilot.

But I learned that I was in Oklahoma and not in Berwyn. First, after dinner on Friday (Cowfalo= 50% Buffalo and 50% Beef burgers) and Saturday, we all retired outside to drink beer and smoke cigars. In fact, beer and cigars was listed on the items to bring sheet. Second, I was asked if I was planning to go fishing in the Illinois River during our free time on Saturday. When I responded that I had never been fishing, one of the leaders brought out one of two spare rods that he brought and said I should come. And I caught the biggest small mouth bass for the group. Third, on the last night as we were drinking, and the others were smoking, I was asked what did I like to hunt. They did not ask if I liked hunting. When I said that I had never been hunting, they looked at me as if I had said I had never had a bowel movement. The possiblity had just never entered their minds. And now I've been invited to go duck hunting this season.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I think I may have that old "Duck Hunt" Atari game laying around here somewhere, if you wanted to practice before going out. Do you think Sheakspear is a good birder?

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Philip Young said…

    I've got a "duck hunt" style game on the Wii. Come on up and practice. :p

    Heck, even I have been fishing before. I'm really surprised that haven't done it.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty impressive on the smallmouth, and it looks like you'll get a use out of that free gun lock you recently received from the Tulsa State Fair.

    I've never heard of Cowfallo before, but I really like the concept - kind of like 2% Milk; you don't really want whole anymore, but just unwilling to go all the way to skim, so you do 2% instead and feel pretty good about yourself as a transition to skim. You'll have to tell-us once you've gone all the way to 100% Buffalo and never looking-back to cow anymore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home